Today I will show you guys how to make a simple, but incredibly original German Cheesecake. Although there are a lot of versions of cheesecakes, the oldest cheesecake recipe is from the Greeks, until the Romans took the recipe. However, the oldest modern recipe comes from Le Viandier a French cookbook from the 14th century.
The oldest German version was found in the cookbook of Anna Wecker from 1598, and in her recipe, she used quark, eggs, sugar, and butter, which is not that different from the recipe I used.
I personally, was used to preparing the American version, which has cream cheese instead of quark and condensed milk instead of sugar, with a topping of guava marmalade.
But since my husband is very very German, well that version was not an option, therefore after experimenting a little bit, I found the perfect and easy recipe for this typical German cheesecake.
In conclusion, I think my husband loves me a little bit more since I use this recipe.
- 300 grams Flour all porposes
- 200 grams Butter Kerrygold Irish Grass Feed Butter ( The best!)
- 100 grams Sugar
- 1 Egg
Ingredients for the Filling
- 100 grams Butter Kerrygold
- 6 Eggs
- 750 grams Fresh Cheese You can use Ricotta or cottage cheese
- 125 grams sour cream
- 50 grams Cornstarch
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Cut the butter in cubes and combine it with sifted flour and sugar
- Add the beaten egg and then use your hands to form into dough.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill in the fridge for at least 20 min.
- Roll dough till you have at least 0,5 cm and transfer it to a prepared 28 cm springform pan. Use your fingers to press the dough and bring a better form inside the springform pan.
Directions for the Filling
- Mix with an electric mixer the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla for 5 min until the dough is pale.
- Add softened butter, the cheese and the sour cream and beat until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Beat egg whites and the pinch of salt in a separate bowl. Fold egg whites and sifted cornstarch into the cheesecake batter.
- Pour cheesecake batter into a 28 cm springform pan and bake on 200 degrees for about 40 minutes, cover it with aluminium paper and backed it for another 20 min.
- After the cheesecake is ready slightly open the oven and let the cheesecake inside for another 10 min