Wiener Schnitzel Recipe
Today I bring you the original Wiener Schnitzel Recipe. Wiener Schnitzel is one of the most known Austrian dishes, not to mention, that is one of Austria’s national dishes. Wiener Schnitzel was first mention in the German Cookbook by Katharina Prato back in 1831, and it was mention as eingebröselte Kalbsschitzen, which means breaded veal cutlets.
There are many stories about the origin of this famous Austrian dish, some believe that Joseph Radetzky von Radetz brought the wiener schnitzel recipe from Italy to Austria in 1857. But in 2007 Heinz Dieter Pohl proved, that this was not true. Actually, Pohl, mentions that Austrian has other dishes that were breaded and deep-fried, like Backhendl, which was mention in a cookbook back in 1719.
In any case, this is one of the most famous dishes here in Austria, and there are many restaurants where you can find it. One of these restaurants is Meissl & Schadn. Meissl & Schadn restaurant was destroyed in 1945, today you can find the restaurant in the city center in the Grand Ferdinand Hotel. We had the opportunity to learn the secrets of how to prepare the original Wiener Schnitzel from star chef Jürgen Gschwendtner, who is the chef director of Meissl & Schadn, Grand Ferdinan Restaurant, Grand Etage, and Gulasch & Champagne Restaurant.
-A real Wiener Schnitzel is just from veal, and you should be able to taste all the ingredients, therefore is important to use fresh eggs and a great quality breadcrumb
-Pounding the meat, this is one of the most important steps, you have to do it between plastic sheet, and in a uniform way. The veal is flattened with a hammer while maintaining the structure of the meat. Therefore, it requires a shorter time to fried it and it will brown gently and even.
– To fried the Wiener Schnitzel you should you clarified butter together with a neutral oil, and always keep the wiener schnitzel moving inside the oil.
What is the traditional Wiener Schnitzel made of?
The traditional Wiener Schnitzel is made with veal and veal only. If the schnitzel is made out of pork, or chicken is not original wiener schnitzel any more
What is served with the Original Wiener Schnitzel?
The original Wiener Schnitzel is served with potato salad, a lemon slice, which you squeeze on top of your schnitzel, and lingonberry jam
Is there a difference between schnitzel and Wiener schnitzel?
Schnitzel is basically any type of cutlet, it can be pork, chicken, etc. These cutlets can be fried without been breaded. Wiener Schnitzel, is just made of veal, breaded and deep fried.
- 4 veal cutlets in butterfly cut (180-200 gram each)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Oil or lard, and butter for frying
- 4 slices lemon, garnish
- Pound the cutlets in a uniform way between 2 plastic wraps with hammer, till you get it 0,5cm thick ( secret #1)
- Gather the flour, breadcrumbs, and eggs. Set up 3 shallow dishes, for each, important is not to overmix the eggs, you should be able to see parts of the egg whites (secret #2)
- Take a large skillet and heat the oil with the butter ( it should be completely covered with oil, remember the schnitzel should swim in the oil)
- The next step is to add salt to our schnitzel before we breaded them.
- Now that we have our veal cutlets season, we are going to dredge each schnitzel first inflour till the surface is completely dry
- Now we are going to dip the schnitzel in the egg to coat them and then we dip quickly inthe breadcrumbs, without pressing the breadcrumbs to the schnitzel (secret #3)
- Place the breaded schnitzel in the pan with hot oil, (better one at the time) and move the pan back and forward (be careful) to fried the schnitzel in constant movement ( secret #4) till you get a nice brown schnitzel.