Today we have a special recipe, Linzer Tart, this recipe is one of the oldest baked recipes of the world, that dates from the 17th century. This recipe comes from Linz on the Danube in the region of Upper Austria, and has been part of the Christmas traditions for generations, therefore to welcome the first advent Sunday I decided to please my husband with this Christmas delight.
Every family in Austria has their own personal recipe, and because this is one of my husband’s favourite cake I decided to give it a try. Although my husband is from Germany, and he always said that the best Linzer Tart was from his mother, and this sentence made my Austrian aunt crazy.
After tried in different recipes, I finally came with a nice option, and of course, approve by the expert!
- 200 grams flour
- 200 grams sugar
- 200 grams butter
- 100 grams ground walnuts
- 100 grams ground almonds
- 1 tbsp chocolate powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch clove powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp kirsch water ( Cherry liquor)
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 1 tbsp cranberries jam
- Sift the flour on the table, add the sugar.Chop the butter (cold) and mix everything. Then add the ground nuts and almonds, the chocolate powder, cinnamon, cloves and lemon, a pinch of salt and knead
- Put 1 egg yolk and the kirsch in a bowl, knead everything and make a lump of dough. Wrap this in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cut off one-third of the dough and put it back in the fridge.
- Briefly, knead the remaining dough and ripple on the floured work surface.
- Place the bottom of the Springform on it, cut out a corresponding circle and place it in the mold.
- Mix the raspberry jam with the cranberries and spread evenly on the ground.
- Now roll out the remaining dough and cut into thin strips. Place them on the marmalade, like a grid. Finally, with small strips of dough form the edge.
- Now brush the second yolk with the brush on the grid and cake edge.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 175 ° C for 30-35 minutes. Then allow to cool and carefully remove from the mold.