Black Forest Cake
Today I bring you guys the perfect black forest roulade cake. For those of you who don’t know, my husband comes from this region of Germany, and this is in fact one of his favorite cakes of all. Although I have never made a black forest formal cake before, I wanted to give it a twist, and make in a roulade form.
I have a great recipe of a roulade cake, so I decided to mix things up, and transform my previous recipe in a black forest version, and let me tell you the result was pretty good…
The black forest cake ( Schwarzwaelder Kirschtorte) contain a few layers of chocolate sponge cake, filled with whipped cream and cherries. The name actually does not came from the black forest region, but instead from the strength alcohol of that district, known as Schwarzwälder Kirsch(wasser) and refined from tart fruits. This is the key ingredient, with its characteristic cherry flavor and alcoholic content, that gives the cakes its flavor.
This recipe is actually very easy to make, think the key is to have a perfect sponge cake, that you can roll without breaking it, and the filling is just whipped cream, cherries and Cherries snaps.
- 5 eggs
- 150 grams sugar
- 30 grams maizena
- 40 grams flour
- 20 grams cacao
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 250 grams whipped cream
- 500 grams cherries
- cherry snaps
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees. Line a swiss roll tin about 30cm x 23cm with baking paper.
- Separated 3 eggs yolks and set aside the rest of the eggs. In a large bowl combine the three eggs yolks with 2 wholes eggs and 130 grams of sugar, beat the eggs and sugar at high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the flour, maizena and cacao and mix with a spoon with hand.
- Beat the white eggs with the pinch of salt, and the rest of the sugar on high speed until foamy and mixed with the first mixture by hand.
- Bake for 10 min and set aside, to cool down. Dust another sheet of baking paper with sugar and turn out the sponge onto it.
- Peel off the top paper and sprinkle the Cherries snaps on top of the sponge ( I put a lot because we like the strong flavor of the snaps) Softly whip the double cream, then add 2 tsp cherry snaps and one tsp of sugar and mix lightly.
- Spread a layer of whipped cream on top of the sponge and add the cherries and roll the sponge carefully. Refrigerate 1-2 hrs before serving. Keep refrigerated.